How to Port a SIM or Mobile Number in 2022 – In the early 2000s, it was not possible to retain a mobile number while porting to another SIM or Network. But now it is possible to retain the same SIM & Mobile Number because of the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) service by TRAI.
Before porting your mobile number to another network you should keep few things in mind. Those things are your mobile number should be active for at least 90 days. Further, all bills should be clear in case of postpaid connection before applying for the Mobile Number Porting.
How to Port a SIM or Mobile Number?
The SIM Mobile Number Porting process in 2022 is as follows:
- First of all, you decide which Mobile Operator or Network you want to port your number to.
- Now, generate UPN via sending the following message – PORT followed by your 10-digit mobile number to TRAI’s central number for mobile number portability – 1900. Example – Send ‘PORT 99XXXXXX99’ to 1900.
- You’ll receive an SMS with a port out code that will remain valid for only 15 days.
- Now visit the nearest Mobile Operator center to which you want to port your mobile number.
- Fill the Porting form & CAF along with Unique Porting Number.
- Provide required documents: passport size photograph, self-attested identity proof and address proof.
- Now, obtain a new SIM from the new operator & pay the porting fee.
- The SIM Porting Process may take 07 Seven days to Port (15 days to Jammu & Kashmir, Assam, and North East).
- Replace the old SIM with new SIM after the date and time provided by the new operator.
Documents required for Porting the SIM
You can submit the Aadhar Card, Passport, Driving License, and Voter ID as identity proof & a copy of the rent agreement, landline bill, electricity bill, or a three-month bank statement as address proof. These all documents should be self-attested by the applicant.
Must read about WhatsApp Dark Mode.
What is the SIM Porting Fee?
The mobile operator may charge a porting fee of Rs 19/- and the fee may vary from operator to operator. However, some operators offer free mobile number porting to their network to get more customers.
Things to be Note While Porting Process
- Your old SIM services should not be interrupted while the process porting.
- You can withdraw the porting request within 24 hours of porting the request to a new SIM or Mobile Number.
SIM Porting – FAQs
Send the porting request via SMS to your mobile network provider on the number – 1900. The SMS should be in the format – PORT 99XXXXXX99′ to 1900.
You can’t port your mobile number to another network provider if you’ve canceled your services or your number is not active in the last 90 days.
You can port your SIM or Mobile Number once in 30 days but your all bills should be cleared before applying for the porting number.
The porting process of a SIM or Mobile Number may take somewhere between 7 to 15 days to Port a SIM or Mobile Number.
You can give a call to your current service provider and ask them to generate the Unique Porting Number (UPN), this is how you can get porting code without sending the SMS.